20 September 2013


Non-Canadians must generally get SCHENGEN visas in order to travel to Europe.

Non-Canadians must apply IN-PERSON at the appropriate embassy or consulate. This cannot be done for you. You must go in person only. Do not hire a service for this.

Here are the usual requirements for a Schengen visa:

1) - Passport valid at least three months after the expiry date of the visa. + photocopy of all pages. Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago (first issuance). Refugees residing in Canada, even if they hold permanent resident cards, must have in their possession a travel document for refugees, 1951 Geneva Convention Model.

2)- 1 original signature on a completed Schengen visa application form.

3)- 2 recent and identical photos ID, format 35mm X 45mm only, with a clear and plain white background.

4) airplane or train reservation for the entire travel in the Schengen zone or proof of participating in an organized tour.

5) - If applicable, any document allowing your entry in the country of your main destination.

6)- Depending on the purpose of your stay : = Tourism : hotel reservation for all cities and countries visited. Be aware that once you submit the hotel reservations, you will not be allowed to change them. = Family visit or private stay : you must provide one of the following proof of accommodation : — EITHER the original of the registration from the City Hall in country here your host is residing. This can not be changed and must cover the whole duration of your stay. — IF YOU RENT A PROPERTY : the original of the lease and proof of payment. — IF YOU OWN A PROPERTY : the original of your property title. = Business trip : original of the detailed letter of invitation from the host company , stating the purpose of your stay, whether your expenses, including medicals will or will not be taken care of by the host company during the entire length of your stay. This letter must also state that you will not receive any financial compensation or pay in country during your stay.

7)- Proof of your socio-professional status in Canada: = If you are self-employed, you must provide your business registration + photocopy = If you are employed, you must provide a detailed proof of employment (letter from your employer) as well as your last three pay stubs + photocopy = If you are retired with pension, you need to provide a proof of it + photocopy = If you are a student, you must provide a recent detailed letter from your school + photocopy = If you have a scholarship, you must submit your scholarship papers + photocopy = If you are unemployed you must provide your spouse detailed proof of employment (letter from the employer) as well as the last three pay stubs + photocopy AND the marriage certificate translated + photocopy

8) - Your last three months of bank statements

9) - If you are a minor under 18 years old, you must provide the parental authorization signed by both parents.

After the visa is authorized you will have to provide the following:

10) - Original of the airplane ticket or eticket or proof that your ticket has been paid in full.

11) - Proof of confirmation of the hotel reservation if you are staying in a hotel.

12) - Travel medical insurance valid for the entire length of your stay in the Schengen zone, covering medicine, hospitalization, repatriation, death, pregnancy, for a minimum of Cdn$50,000 Attention : your provincial insurance is not enough, you must purchase a private insurance.

Please note that additional documents will probably be required.