When you travel abroad, and especially in the third world, you are likely to see domestic animals such as cats & dogs which are not well cared for. Consider a donation to a local animal shelter in your destination. They are usually very easy to find on-line.
We take care of our friends because they take care of us.
1. My life is likely to last 10-15 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful. Give me time to understand what you want of me.
2. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being.
3. Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments; but I have only YOU.
4. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me.
5. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.
6. Before you hit me, before you strike me, remember that I could hurt you, and yet I choose not to.
7. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I'm not getting the right food, I have been in the sun too long, or my heart might be getting old or weak.
8. Please take care of me when I grow old. You, too, will grow old.
9. On the ultimate difficult journey, go with me, please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there, because I love you so.
10. Let my last memory be of your kind face, gentle voice and of your loving arms holding me.
We thank the Turks & Caicos RSPCA "Potcake Foundation" for the quote.
Click here for the Potcake Foundation.